Welcome to Day 9 since sports ended, I’m going to give you my top sea shanties to get you through quarantine. In Illinois, we’ll be under full lockdown quarantine and these upbeat shanties will be getting me through it. If you didn’t know, I’m a history nerd and love pirates so here is a list of my favorites that get me through the day.
1. Barrett’s Privateers by Stan Rogers
This song is a story of a 23-year-old man who was a part of Barrett’s Privateers (not a pirate but I’ll take it). It’s full of emotion, you can almost hear the anger in his words and it’s my favorite at the moment. Also, any song by Stan Rodgers passes.
2. The Mariner’s Revenge Song by The Decemberists
Another song with emotion and a good story. This one is about two sailors with bad blood between them, being trapped in the belly of a whale. Slaps as fuck though.
3. Captain Kidd by Nils Brown (From Assassin’s Creed IV)
This one is a real sea shanty that tells tales of Captain Kidd, one of the most feared pirates at the time.
4. Spanish Ladies by Charlotte Cumberbirch (from Assassin’s Creed IV) OR Sarah Blasko (From Turn)
The Turn version of this song is more ominous and slower so if you want an upbeat one to belt out, listen to Cumberbirch’s version.
5. Go Fuck the Queen by The Pirate Charles
If it was 1776, this would be my bop heading into the Revolution.
6. Roll the Old Chariot Along by David Coffin
The Coffin version sounds like you’re on a ship and it’s echoing down the halls. Very aesthetic.
7. So Early in the Morning by Clayton Kennedy (from Assassin’s Creed IV)
Classic shanty, can’t leave it out.
8. Randy Dandy-Oh by The Dreadnoughts
Classic as well but this version gets you ready for a fight.
9. Shiloh by The Dreadnoughts
First of all, one of my favorites movies as a kid. Also a great story in the song.
10. Fifteen Men On Deadman’s Chest by Salt Sea Pirates
“Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum” You can’t leave that one out.
I have a Spotify playlist that has these songs and more so you can check that out right here. Getting through this quarantine can be rough so just imagine being in a different place completely, even on a pirate ship singing some shanties.
Find more at ham-sports.com
Visit our shop here
Tweet me @shortman_hams
Tweet us @ham_sports
Featured Image: Historic UK